Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recycled monitor

Last week I posted to my Facebook wall, asking people how I should dispose of a dead computer monitor. Several people replied with helpful suggestions, and one said I should glue cork to the front of it and make a message board out of it. I'm sure he was kidding, but I took it as a challenge.

I knew that just gluing cork to the surface of the screen wouldn't cut it, so I figured I'd take the "guts" out of it. I thought I was off to a good start when I removed the screws on the back, but quickly realized that monitors were harder to take apart than I thought. I pried at it for a bit, and then decided to go with an alternate route...wait till David got home and have him do it.

We actually had something going on that night, so David wasn't able to work on it till the next day. Removing all the innards isn't as easy as one might think, but eventually he got it apart. I was left with a frame, which I used to measure the cork and foam board (for depth and stability) that was to become the message board. My sheet of cork had adhesive on the back, so I stuck it to the foam board, and then hot glued it into the frame.

In the mean time David messed around with the monitor guts and determined that he could put a piece of it back inside to fill the space in the frame. I was done with the hot gluing so I handed it to him to put back together. He snapped and screwed all the right pieces back on, and voila! I had a snazzy and unique message center to use for important bits of paper...just as soon as I get my desk cleaned off.

Just in case you need a before...although I'm sure you all know what a computer monitor looks like:

And here is the end result. Sorry I didn't take "along the way" pictures, but I didn't think to do that.

Thanks for the great idea, Rik!

No comments: